Leather jacket - a reliable thing, durable and expensive. It is a pleasure to wear it, but like any clothing, it is prone to contamination, which is easy to handle, knowing some secrets.
When you want to remove a stain from a leather jacket or simply refresh it, it is preferable that experts do it. This is correct, but what to do if it is difficult to get money for dry-cleaning from the family budget or there is no way to wait, since there is no other suitable clothes for this time of year?
Today in our article - how to clean a leather jacket on your own so that it shines again as new, can you wash leather products and what products should be used to remove stains from leather jackets, coats and other products from genuine leather.
"Yes" or "no" wash at home?
Leather jackets do not go out of fashion for over 60 years
It is interesting. Leather jackets gained particular popularity after the Second World War. Initially, they went to American pilots. These jackets were called "bombers" and had a thick lining to reliably protect military personnel from cold and wind.
In the most complete collection of tips of all times and peoples - on the Internet - you can find many recommendations on how to wash leather items. But it is absolutely impossible to erase leather goods! By the way, this rule applies to leatherette. But in this case there are exceptions: some manufacturers of materials impregnate ersatz-skin with a special composition, which makes it possible to wash it - so carefully study the labels on the clothes.
The best way to clean your favorite jacket is to dry it. This should be done at the end of each spring, then your things will last a long time. Experts will not only remove stains, relieve the product of unpleasant odors, but also can restore color by painting if you wish.
You can wash the lining in the washing machine or manually
The aroma of the human body, which performs many functions in nature, also causes a lot of hassle associated with removing corrosive odor from clothes. And what to do if a leather jacket or from a substitute, but with caution that it is impossible to wash? If the smell has just appeared, then you can lock the lining. Carefully inspect the clothes in order to determine the nature of the fastening lining. Manufacturers of high-quality leather products make the lining removable: with buttons or with a zipper. In this case, we unfasten the fabric part and wash it with our hands or in a typewriter with the addition of powder, after which we dry and iron. If the lining is sewn, then you need to unpick it and, after washing, sew again.
Not quite confident with a needle in your hand? Then give the jacket in the studio: there and cut, and sewn lining quickly and efficiently.
You can clean the lining without scissors in your hands:
- We unscrew the lining of the skin as much as possible.
- Wash it with a weak soap solution.
- Lay out the thing on a terry towel to dry.
- We put on only after complete drying of the product.
As a rule, after the fabric is refreshed, the problem disappears. But in some advanced cases, body odor even eats into the skin. And then cleaning the capricious coating can not be avoided. In this case, choose one of the proven methods.
Lemon not only removes blemishes, but also fights bad breath.
To start using the power of citric acid:
- Squeeze the juice from 3 lemons.
- Dilute it with a third with water.
- Fill the spray solution.
- Spray on the jacket outside and inside.
- We hang in a warm, but not humid place until dry.
Instead of lemon, you can take 9% vinegar:
- Dilute vinegar with water in a 1: 1 ratio.
- Spray the product from the spray (outside and inside).
- Dry for 2-3 days at room temperature.
If you are afraid of the smell of vinegar, you can avoid direct contact of the material with the solution:
- On hangers hang a jacket in the bathroom.
- In the bowl we collect boiling water.
- Pour 50-100 ml of acetic essence into it.
- We hang a jacket over capacity.
- Leave the item for 30 minutes. The smell should go.
How to clean a genuine leather jacket?
Whatever cleaning method you use, be sure to wipe your jacket with a soft cloth at the end.
If contamination appears on things, most often they are immediately sent to the wash. And what to do with leather products, if they can not be washed? First of all, it is necessary to identify the nature of the spot.
It seems that the trace of fat on the skin does not withdraw anything - so it stands out on a jacket of any color. Meanwhile, there is a way! And not one.
You can try to cope with the problem using ordinary soap:
- Wipe the stain with a damp cloth.
- Soaked in a solution of glycerin soap with a sponge soak the place of pollution.
- Wet the area with a wet cloth and dry.
You can also resort to heat treatment:
- Put a paper napkin on the stain.
- We iron the ill-fated place with an iron - so the fat is absorbed into the paper.
If the stain is old, then you can try to gently stick it with soap and not wipe with a solution
With fresh stains of dirt, everything is quite simple: they are removed with a damp cloth that does not contain alcohol. But with old traces will have to do some fighting.
- Mix liquid soap with water in a ratio of 1: 2.
- We wet a soft rag in the solution.
- We rub the polluted site.
- Then we process the product with clean water and dry it at room temperature.
The specifics of leather goods is such that the stains of paint eats into this material with amazing speed and power. And they will have to withdraw in two stages: first, the pigment itself, and then the smell.
- We moisten a cotton pad with acetone (or gasoline - what is at hand).
- Wipe the trail of paint.
- After the stain is gone, process the area with a slice of lemon.
By the way, in the same way you can get rid of traces of mold on things.
And although we are increasingly being reproached for neglecting the classical form of the epistolary genre — handwriting, ink stains continue to appear on the jackets of those who are used to wearing pens in their inner pockets. So the knowledge and ability to get rid of the annoying spot will be useful.
- We moisten a wadded disk with medical alcohol.
- Wipe the stain.
Just do not make special efforts and rub alcohol into the skin - you can spoil the color. If the stain does not give in, then it is better to rely on dry cleaning.
Such unpleasant effects on leather jackets are after the rain. And the acetic essence will help again.
- Mix the vinegar essence and water in the ratio 1: 4.
- We moisten a napkin with solution and process stains.
- After that, wipe the product with a damp cloth and let it dry.
How to restore the former beauty of things
Especially carefully you need to handle things from soft skin, as it is very gentle and can deteriorate.
The most effective way to return a soft jacket is to lubricate it with glycerin.
In no case should dry skin be allowed. The fact is that this is the first reason for the appearance of cracks, which will be impossible to get rid of. So what about the jackets need to take care of regularly.
- We moisten a soft sponge with glycerin.
- Wipe the surface of the leather product.
- We give time to the substance to be absorbed.
No glycerin at hand? Do not worry, help chicken protein.
For protein to become a full-fledged replacement for glycerol in the fight for softness of the skin, it must be whipped into a dense foam
- Beat the protein in a strong foam.
- We moisten a cloth and wipe the skin.
- Blot treated areas dry.
How to iron a leather jacket without creases - video
Care products in white
The best cleanser for white leather jackets is milk.
White or light leather jackets go almost everything. They perfectly emphasize the image and are always in fashion. However, they require care more scrupulous. And the best way to destroy almost all types of dirt (except paint and ink) is milk. It is only necessary to moisten a rag and wipe problem areas. In addition, milk will soften the skin. Instead of milk, you can also use lemon juice.
If oily spots appear on the jacket, then mix talc with turpentine and apply on the tracks. After drying, remove the residue with a soft brush.
How to wash artificial skin?
Before washing, you should carefully examine the information on the label.
As already mentioned, the jacket can be washed only if there is a permissive mark on the label.
- We set the mode "Delicate wash".
- Choose a temperature (+30 aboutC) spinning is not needed.
- After the program is turned off, we dry the jacket on a horizontal surface covered with a diaper. It is desirable in the room, but not next to the heating devices.
- When the water is drained and the jacket dries out, you can hang it on soft hangers and dry it on the balcony - so the thing will not have to be ironed.
If you are afraid to clean the leatherette in a washing machine, then you can restrict yourself by hand washing:
- Pour into the basin a little warm water.
- 3-4 liters add 1.5 tbsp. l table vinegar.
- Instead of powder, it dispenses dishwashing liquid in water.
- Carefully three jacket in a circular motion.
- Well rinse detergent residues.
- Squeeze the thing in the towel and, hanging on soft hangers, dry at room temperature.
However, even with artificial skin incidents can occur after washing. For example, washing out the paint. In this case, it is recommended to buy a special paint and paint problem areas or the entire jacket - depending on the scale of the damage.
Ironing leatherette jackets should be ironed in the same way as genuine leather items, that is, through paper in a sparing mode.
How to do so as not to clean often?
Leather jackets should hang in the closet on wide rounded hangers.
As you know, prevention is the most effective way to solve problems of any nature. So this is true for leather goods. It is better to constantly properly care for the product than periodically wondering how to clean.
- To store the jacket choose a place with normal humidity, away from heating devices.
- If water gets on the skin, we dry the jacket on wide shoulders. Please note that before drying you need to pull out the entire contents of the pockets, otherwise the thing under this weight can stretch.
- Once a season, wipe the jacket with a damp cloth, removing dust.
- We try to remove stains in a timely manner.